How can we improve NewHaven Software?

room for additional email addressees

Multiple email addresses per company, i.e. accounting@ and name@. Additional field to add extra email addresses in customer record.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JudyJudy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JeffJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jeff from American Health Service would like to see this feature included as well, some details he provided on a possible way to implement this:

Use a similar format to how the customer record displays multiple phone numbers. Allow a scroll through list of emails that can be tagged with a name and department.

Example: Test@Test.com John Doe Sales

Allow 1 of these email addresses to be set as the primary email address for things like order confirmations and the default address that will fill in when you try to email from an order.

The primary use in this case for having multiple email addresses is so American Health Service has a quick list of all related email addresses to a company that they can pull for marketing and ordering purposes.

• WayneWayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Russ,

I hope all is well. As you know, the subject of using the multiple email address fields (Mailing, Billing & Shipping) has been a hot request with us for many years. We're still waiting for the ability to correspond with the various departments (i.e. billing, shipping, purchasing etc.) within our Customer Accounts. By expanding the emailing options you will help us be more efficient by allowing CMS to be our communication portal without constantly erasing email addresses in the Mailing tab today. This is method is time consuming and messy. I vote YES for implementing the change. Lastly, I believe Mike's idea of allowing multiple email addresses in the fields is good too. Wayne Beasley

• Russ - NewHaven SoftwareAdminRuss - NewHaven Software (Product Manager, NewHaven Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mike, that's great feedback. Thank you for taking the time to contribute your thoughts.

We have a lot of votes for this feature and we'd like to move it forward. To do so we need to build a consensus of what the voters want to see from this enhancement to satisfy their needs.

To those voters I'd like to ask you to chime in by posting here. Does Mike's description represent your needs as well or is there anything else that you see if critical to such a feature?

I do want to keep this issue of having multiple emails per customer separate from the issue of being able to send email confirmations to billing or shipping email addresses. Those are already covered under a separate topics here in User Voice (also with many votes) and are in our schedule for inclusion in a future CMS release.

• Mike SowaMike Sowa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Russ,

My request and needs are specific to the existing Email Confirmations functionality: Order Confirmations and Shipment Confirmations. Ideally we'd like the Order Confirmations to go to as many email addresses that are in the customer mailing address tab in the email field, working like Outlook or other email programs where you separate additional recipient emails with a comma or semicolon.

Shipment confirmations and the attached invoices we produce using your existing functionality would go to the billing tabs email address. Additional recipients (such as the purchaser) could be added here as well by using the same intuitive comma, and/or semicolon approach.

I realize adding existing email addresses to the main mailing tab could potentially affect individual and mass emails, but I honestly do not use those features as much as I probably should so I would have to rely on you to make the best decision to go with my existing field recommendations on both the mailing and billing tab versus an approach where you would create two additional fields that email and shipment confirmations would pull from that supported multiple addresses and potentially using the comma, semicomma approach.

Either way, I think a solution attacking the confirmations seem to be what most commenters are asking for and would greatly improve communication with our customers and add value to CMS.

• Russ - NewHaven SoftwareAdminRuss - NewHaven Software (Product Manager, NewHaven Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a lot of votes for adding additional email addresses to CMS so we'd like to get some feedback from the voters on how they'd like to see it work.

Please see my previous comments on this request from Sept 19 that describes a couple of ways we could pursue this. Post your comments on which way you'd like to see us go with this or if you have alternate ideas.

We really like the idea of having multiple email addresses but there are a couple of ways to go and questions to answer. Ideally you'd have multiple contacts for a customer and each of those contacts could have multiple email addresses. This is at least important for business contacts where individuals it might be enough just to have multiple email addresses.

If you went the multiple contact route, you'd probably want a 'type' for each contact when performing mail filters (emails, letters, exporting) you could choose which contact types you want to target. Types would probably be user-defined as your list may differ from the next users.

Once you've selected the contact type(s) to use, then decide which email to use (personal, work, confirmation, vacation, etc.). We'd have to come up with a rule or option on what to do when the contact or email has no type. :)

You can see this could be a bit more complicated than expected to try and do it "right". There could be a reasonable interim solution that would just allow for multiple email addresses without multiple contacts. I'd think you'd still want to assign a type to each with "Primary" being the default type and then have other types for alternate email addresses.

This might be reasonable to do if it were only used when sending individual emails from the Customer records, for example. It gets a bit more complicated if we need to manage sending mass emails and only wanted to target certain email types.

Please consider how you'd want to use multiple emails (individually, mass emails, confirmation emails) and how you think you might want to select between them. If we can build a consensus of what that should look like, we'd like to tackle it. Please post your comments here.

Feedback and Knowledge Base